Saturday 8 March 2014

Sucre a la Creme

This is a French Canadian Favourite. Every Francophone person I know has a family member who makes this regularly, and, in my family that person is me, lol. I enjoy making it as much as I enjoy eating it.

INGREDIENTS
3 cups brown sugar
1 (5 ounce) can Carnation Evaporated Milk
1/2 lb butter
1 cup icing sugar, sifted
1/4 cup walnuts, chopped, optional

DIRECTIONS
Combine first 3 ingredients.
Bring to a boil over medium heat.
Boil 8 to 9 minutes, stirring constantly.
Remove from heat, add icing sugar and nuts and stir until well mixed.
Pour into 9" X 9" pan.
Cool about 15 minutes in refrigerator and cut into small squares.
Return to the refrigerator and let cool completely; remove from pan.

4 comments:

  1. OMG, Bea! I need to take these to work, just so I don't eat the whole tray! The ingredients and method reminded me of candy my mom used to make - a Hispanic treat! These turned out slightly different, but still oh-so-good!!! A new favorite! The texture is melt in your mouth sweetness. I thought of not adding the walnuts, but am glad they were in there. This candy is out-of-this-world good...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really good, Bea! It was super easy to make. I wanted to put some nuts in there, but hubby doesn't like them. It cooled with a beautiful shiny, crackly finish. Tastes heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you enjoyed this. Thx for the review, much appreciated.

      Bea :-)

      Delete

Have you tried this recipe?? Tell us how it turned out :)