Thursday 13 February 2014

Mixed Vegetable Refrigerator Pickles

I saw this recipe circulating on Facebook and had to give it a try. My first attempt was not so great I had to triple the vinegar mixture to fill the jars. I have adjusted the amounts the original recipe called for. The original recipe author claims this keeps for 2 months. It has not lasted long enough in my fridge for me to validate that.

INGREDIENTS
4 cups sliced 
cucumbers
1 sliced onion
1 sliced bell peppers
1/2 tablespoon salt
1 3/4 cup white vinegar
3 1/2 cups sugar or stevia for lower carb
1 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
1 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed
2 chili peppers, optional

DIRECTIONS
Mix together the cucumbers, onions, bell peppers and salt; set a side.
Place the vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed in a pot and bring to a boil.
Remove from heat and allow cooling for one hour.
If using, add a chili pepper in 2 -16oz jars and pack the mixed veggies into jars.
Pour the cooled vinegar mixture over the vegetables, cover and store in refrigerator.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this recipe?? Tell us how it turned out :)