Monday 20 July 2015

Maple Rum Salmon

I put this recipe together when I was gifted a beautiful chunk of fresh salmon a while back and have been making this often since. It is my favorite way to enjoy salmon! I prefer grilling this over a sheet of foil because I find the salmon can easily fall apart if not handled properly and fall through the grates, make sure you coat the foil layer well with non-stick spray or cooking oil.



INGREDIENTS
12 ounces salmon fillet
1/4 cup maple syrup
1/4 cup dark rum
1 tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons ground ginger
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/8 teaspoon ground cloves (optional)

DIRECTIONS
Mix together the rum, maple syrup, ground ginger, salt, pepper and ground cloves in a large re-sealable plastic bag.
Add the salmon and remove as much of the air as you can in the bag and seal; marinate refrigerated for 4 hours.
Remove the fish from the marinade and set it aside.
Pour the marinade in a sauce pan, add the butter and bring to a boil over medium-high heat; continue to boil until thickened; remove from heat and set aside.
Cut a piece of foil big enough to hold the fish with a couple of inches overlapping all around the fish; coat it with non-stick spray and place the fillet on top of foil, flesh side down.
Place on a preheated medium-high grill over direct heat and cook for 3 to 4 minutes, until you have grill marks; carefully turn it over and continue to cook brushing it with all the reduced glaze until it is cooked through. The cook time will depend on the thickness of the fish, it will flake easily when poked with a fork.
Enjoy!



*Please keep in mind that not all dried herbs and spices are gluten free so check the labels to make sure the brand you are using is gluten free. The same applies for prepackaged store-bought items, check the labels to be sure. If in doubt, call the toll free number on packaging to be safe and to make your cooking/eating experience is truly gluten free.

4 comments:

  1. This was delicious...my sauce didn't leave a nice shiny glaze...but we did enjoy the sweet maple flavor...made for "For Your Consideration" tag game...TeresaS

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad you enjoyed this Teresa :-) Thx for trying it.

      Delete
  2. I'd never grilled salmon before, so was excited to try this recipe. I made two pieces, ate one hot for dinner and one cold a couple of days later. I actually liked the cold version better, but that's me regardless of the recipe. I did find the rum a bit too strong for me. I think if I had used all maple syrup, or cut the rum in half, it would have been a bit more my style. It did still have good flavor and I liked using the marinade as a thickened up sauce for basting.

    ReplyDelete

Have you tried this recipe?? Tell us how it turned out :)