Monday 22 December 2014

Italian Venison Roast

This is a great tasting venison roast recipe I threw together a long time ago and have been making ever since. My daughter recently asked for the recipe and I realized I had never taken the time to jot it down. So as per her request I made this for her and I and wrote the ingredients and amounts down. I like to make a gravy with the drippings to drizzle over mashed potatoes or just serve it as is. To make gravy I strain the drippings into a sauce pan and bring it to a boil, then I stir in a mixture of 2 tablespoons cornstarch and water and Voila, you have an amazing tasting gravy!

INGREDIENTS
2 pounds venison roast, trimmed of all fat
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, crushed
2 cups GF beef broth
1 cup red wine
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1 teaspoon GF Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
2 bay leaves
Salt to taste
Pepper to taste

DIRECTIONS
Season the roast generously with salt and pepper; set aside.
Melt the bacon dripping over medium-high heat in a Dutch oven and brown the venison roast on all sides.
Remove the roast and set aside.
Place the onions and garlic in the Dutch oven and cook until the onions just start to soften, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the wine and cook for another 5 minutes.
Return the roast to the pot and add the remaining ingredients; cover and place in a pre-heated 350 degree Fahrenheit oven and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Have you tried this recipe?? Tell us how it turned out :)